Saturday, July 3, 2010

Let The Countdown Begin!

I cannot believe that I'll be boarding a plane and heading back to Texas a week from tomorrow! I've been gone a little over four months, and it seems like it's only been a couple of weeks.


I'm loving it here in Maputo, but I'm totally jazzed at the prospect of seeing my family, friends, and beloved Boxer Kishka. That said, dwelling on the people (and pet) I've missed would make for a fairly emotional blog post, and I think I'm due something superficial.


So, in no particular order, here are a few things I'm most looking forward to experiencing when I get back home.


1. Two words: Tex Mex. I'm craving fajitas, chips and hot sauce, refried beans, and tequila! The beverage that tries to pass itself off as a margarita 'round these parts is an affront to anyone who has ever had a real one. The only thing I haven't missed is guacamole since the avocados here are the size of cantaloupes and beyond delicious.


2. Fret-free mosquitos. Don't get me wrong - I hate those blood-sucking insects! But at least I don't have to schedule a malaria test after getting bit in Texas.


3. Getting my hair cut by Patrick O'Hara.


I am unreasonably particular about who does my tresses, thus I've spent the last four-plus months eschewing salons and watching my hair slowly start to resemble something best described as a rat's nest. There's a hairdresser here that many of my friends recommend, and their hair looks great. But I've long maintained that one should never have their hair cut by a professional with a bad hair cut and, boy, does she qualify. Plus, she's got those magenta highlights that brunettes sometimes get, so I've been afraid to let her try color on me. This means I've had to attempt to pass off the gray follicles glistening across my hairline as highlights, and I don't think Doug is falling for it any more.


4. Stocking up on cinnamon-flavored Crest, the best toothpaste in the history of the world. I just finished my last tube and my overdue shipment containing my replacement stash won't be arriving until mid- to late August.


5. Being someplace where I can make myself understood without having to resort to pantomime. Instead of answering questions with a simple yes or no when I get back home, I plan on crafting long-winded responses simply because I know lots of words in English and want to show them all off. Unlike here when the only time I can correctly answer a question is if someone asks me if I speak Portuguese. (That would be "nao.")


6. Drinking water straight from the tap.


7. Dressing up. Maputo is extremely casual, and there are very few places where you wouldn't be comfortable wearing jeans. (This has been a bit of a godsend, since my wardrobe is limited to the things I brought over in my luggage, which was primarily shorts, jeans, T-shirts, and workout clothes.) That said, I'm looking forward to "making an effort," as my mother would say.


8. Taking yoga classes at all my favorite places: Tsada, Uptown Yoga, and with Bruce Boyd.


9. Voice mail. Seriously! For some reason, no one here - including myself - has access to voice mail on their cell phones. Texts, yes, voice mail, nao. So don't be surprised if I leave you a lengthy voice mail message simply because I can. You better do the same for me.


See you soon!





No comments:

Post a Comment